Sunday, September 4, 2011

Kindergarten Fun

People often ask me how quickly they can introduce WBT concepts at the beginning of the year, especially in Kinder.  Well, rather unexpectedly, I ended up subbing in Kindergarten on Thursday and Friday. They had already learned "Class, Yes" and "Hands and Eyes" from me when I had been in and out, giving baseline assessments and general assistance. On Thursday, we rehearsed the "Five Rules" throughout the day, I introduced the scoreboard, and I taught them how to "Turn to your neighbor".  Friday, I introduced "mirror" and they loved it! I taught them to use the triple repeat for lines, chairs, papers, etc. I used the WBT 5 Step lesson plan to teach the LA Power Pix "Author". We used air whiteboards to sequence the story of The Three Little Kittens.  The teacher's aide commented on how well the students participated, and that she liked how I made learning so much fun!
I will be stepping in for 2 weeks,  until our long term sub can take over. This week, we will learn the LA Power Pix for character, capital letter, sentence, period, and the math Power Pix sort and count.  So, how much can you introduce at the beginning of the year in Kinder? Quite a bit!!! The key is to rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, until they are meeting your expectations.
Guiding Kinder students in learning using WBT means no more unneccesary stacks of busywork for students during an unexpected absence by their teacher. Learning continues!!! Can I get an "Oh Yeah!"?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a chance to post more during your time in kinder :) I received a Versitile Blogger Award and wanted to pass it on to you. Thanks for being an inspiration. http://scrapbunny.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete