Thursday, May 19, 2011

Magnetic Attraction

Today I stood back and watched proudly as my students leaders were teaching their peers about magnets. We explored how like poles attract, but opposite poles repel. We experimented with force fields, and how amazing it is to see a magnet attract iron, even through water, wood, paper, or even a shirt! (LOL! Putting a magnet under your shirt was not in my lesson plan!) Several students were being pulled out of the room to complete make-up testing, and when they re-entered, my student leaders were teaching them the concepts, using key vocabulary and gestures! I even overheard one zealous student telling his group to take out their air blackboards and draw arrows and write "attract" and "repel". With just 5 days of school left, my students are engaged, learning, and teaching- NOT creating discipline problems!!! See what WBT can do? That, my friends, is a ten finger woo with a lightening sizzle!!!

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome Deb!

    I let my 2 student leaders loose on their own for the first time today. They led the class through a reader's theater while I dealt with an issue in the hallway. I was very pleased!

    I'd love to hear more details about your leaders. It sounds as if you have a leader for each group? Do they have specific responsibilities or do you just expect them to step in as needed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! I am so thankful that we have the WBT Bloggers keeping us informed and giving us ideas, since we no longer have the Saturday Webinars.
    Thanks Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allisong-
    I had presented a direct instruction lesson on magnets, then the students rotated through 6 different magnet centers to explore magnetic properties and create hypotheses to be proven/disproven. Each group had an assigned leader, but all were partnering, gesturing, and mirroring. I have a group with some extremely advanced students this year, and often I pre-teach them how to use a center, and then they guide the groups through the rotations. For some activities, I differentiate the groups, with the super high kiddos in their own group, and they have totally different expectations than the on-grade level or below-grade level students. It has been an exciting year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info!

    It sounds like differentiation at its best! I've got to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "With just 5 days of school left, my students are engaged, learning, and teaching- NOT creating discipline problems!!! See what WBT can do? That, my friends, is a ten finger woo with a lightening sizzle!!!"

    This is the magic I am discovering right now! I am so blessed to have found this gift that is a good fit for me ... and my kids!

    ReplyDelete